Sunday, April 25, 2010

I caught you looking at me
While I rested my head and closed my eyes
I felt your gaze run along me, figuring out what to do next.
It intensified as you moved your hand up my back and into my hair.
I fell asleep then for the gentle massage soothed my countless days of thinking…


I wondered for a long time in my dreams, clinging to the back of a sauntering camel.
A day in and the day going out I felt the pull on me, trying to yank me back into the reality I was in. The dunes were countless, vermilion brown and beating heavily with heat. Camels walked on, into the nothing sand, but I stayed for there was no more strength to hold on. The desert evening freezes me into a stupor; within the surreal state I was already in. I clench myself into a fist like curl, falling into another dream:


Falling I was, down into the mist of the waterfall’s tumble. The exotic parrots swoop past me, wings splayed out and showing off the exuberant feathers, flashing against the whites of the waters descent. Hundreds come, none venture back, as the plummets trip goes on, doom bottomless and sending the sticky vapor to latch onto me, making me sopping wet so that tears and sweat can not be distinguished anymore. Down I go; down I go into another dream:


In space the sun looked at me, it ablaze and hungry for an energy that I was. It wanted me; it wanted me so badly that its fiery fingers reached out to me. I sat suspended in empty air, waiting, thinking yes, this is it. I felt the need of the pressing want and I wanted to indulge it. Alas as soon as the sun licked me he spat me out of grasp and moved away. I could not move, this was not my world. I tried to call out but how could sound be heard in space, a little sound like me? Holding my breath, hoping for it to end I blacked out – into another dream:


I stood in the forest, green existence all around me, with that musky smell and serrated edges. Life running by me, and I stood motionless, I was fearless and welcoming any approach. Yet all ran, I knew nothing and when the wolf stopped to stare I beckoned for him to come closer, a snarl met me and I stood down, it ran off with his female wolf. And I became a lonely deer. I felt the presence of hunters all wanting a piece of me, the prize of my skin and my meat to feed others.
I never wanted to be awake more, because my life flew past me, in such an instant that it was pain I felt to know that this was all it was – up till now.

Where I woke up and saw you…happy and looking down at me, you may not be comforting in the way I want. But you could be there nonetheless and that’s a need worth fulfilling. I step away now and into a new town – a new beginning. So come closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment